As many of us have personally witnessed, cyber-attacks have become an increasing and serious problem over the last few years. As we mentioned earlier this month, the Target Breach alone that occurred in 2013 could cost the corporation an estimated $1 billion. Many individuals had their information compromised during the scandal, making them immensely aware of the repercussions of such invasive cyber-attacks. In addition to obtaining Orlando Cyber Liability Insurance, here are a few helpful tips on how to keep you and your customer’s confidential information secure before, during, and after a cyber-attack.
- Connect to the internet only over secure, protected networks.
- Never give out personal identifying information over the internet.
- Avoid clicking on pop-ups or attachments from unknown senders.
During a Cyber-Attack
- If you’re at work, contact your IT department as soon as possible, if applicable.
- Run a scan on your device to ensure no suspicious activity is detected.
- If you’re at home, disconnect from the internet and perform a manual virus scan. Don’t forget to change all of your saved passwords; this will prevent any future hacks and damage!
After a Cyber-Attack
- The first and most important thing to do after an attack are to report the violation to the police.
- Property Casualty 360 reminds you to report any stolen personal information to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). Keep in mind the other institutions that should be contacted to ensure your safety i.e. banks, credit card companies, the DMV, etc. depending on the information stolen.
At Newman Crane, we understand that protecting yourself, your business, and its confidential information is crucial to your success. However, with increased risk such as cyber-attacks on the rise, an Orlando Retail Business Insurance package can help you manage the liabilities your company may experience due to hackers and identity thieves. For more information about our Orlando Commercial Insurance Policies as well as our personal lines options, contact us today at (407) 859-3691 to see how we can help you.