Homeowners Insurance Orlando: Know Your Halloween Liability Risks
Halloween is a fun and exciting time for kids and adults alike. Many homeowners enjoy passing out candy and decorating their homes for trick-or-treaters to enjoy. What most people don’t tend to think about though is the threat that trick-or-treaters bring in terms of insurance liabilities.
As an Orlando homeowner, you may be held liable if someone slips or falls on your property, or if there is any other type of accident or property damage. It’s imperative to ensure that your homeowners policy has enough liability and medical coverage to sustain you in the unfortunate event something should happen.
The types of questions you should be asking yourself as Halloween approaches include:
- What happens if a child falls and injures themselves on my sidewalk and their parents sue for medical costs?
- What if my house is vandalized as a Halloween prank?
- What exactly does my insurance cover and what will I be held liable for?
As a homeowner, it’s important to be aware of different scenarios that can occur. You may be surprised by what you could be found “at fault” for, such as a child tripping on a sidewalk crack and breaking their wrist. Although there is no 100% fool proof way to prevent an accident, these steps may possibly help you reduce the chances of encountering any problems this Halloween.
- If you own a pool, be sure the cover is secure, gates and locked, and lights are on around the pool area. Do not assume that because your backyard is fenced, that nobody will try to get in.
- Turn on all your outside lights. Leave them on all night to deter vandalism.
- Make sure walkways are clear of leaves, lawn decorations, and any other debris.
- Move cars, bikes, planters, sprinklers, and other items into a locked garage or inside the house to deter theft or vandalism.
Be sure to follow these basic safety tips and use good judgment when decorating to ensure a safe and enjoyable Halloween for yourself, your guests, and trick-or-treaters.
At Newman Crane, we are the experts in providing you and your family with full-service Orlando, Florida insurance coverage — including the highest quality and most comprehensive Orlando Home Insurance. Please contact us today for more information about our Orlando Homeowners Insurance programs at (407) 859-3691.