Orlando Homeowners Insurance: Stopping Holiday House Fires
The holidays are a time of cheer and celebration, but every year hundreds of families have their festivities interrupted by house fires. According to the United States Fire Administration (USFA), house fires occur far more frequently during winter than any other time of year. In fact, more house fires occur in December than any other month of the year. Which makes sense when we stop and think about it. There are a number of additional fire exposures that come into play during the holidays. Here are some common exposures to house fires Orlando homeowners often face:
- Heat sources: One in every six home fires involves home heating equipment. Portable heaters, fireplaces, furnaces and other heating units are all responsible for some of the most devastating and fatal home fires each year. The USFA advises homeowners to keep any flammable materials and items at least 3 feet away from any heat source and to only plug one electrical heating device into an outlet at a time.
- Holiday Cooking: Kitchen fires are another leading cause of house fire year round which also increases during the Holiday season. Often the holidays encourage increased activity in the kitchen. Increased use of kitchen appliances paired with the excitement of the season often leads to more risks and hazards including severe injury and fire.
- Candles- While candles are a fundamental part of many holiday traditions, the National Fire Protection Association claims that candle related house fires nearly triple during December as opposed to other times of year. Over half of candle related fires occur when candles are placed too close to flammable objects such as trees, fabrics, and other décor. If you’re using candles to decorate your home this holiday season, be sure to keep ample space between any flame and flammable materials.
- Christmas Trees: Christmas tree fires used to be all too common occurrences back when trees were decorated with lit candles and early strands of electrical lights, but today they are fewer in numbers. Yet every year instances of Christmas tree fires still occur and when they do they are devastating. According to the USFA 1 out of every three tree fires is cause by electrical failure and one out of every five tree fires is the result of poor tree placement too close to a heat source.
- Holiday Lights: Whether lighting your roof-top or illuminating your tree, it is essential that you choose the right holiday lights. Only use lights for their proper designation; in other words don’t hang indoor only lights outside and vice-verse. Furthermore, consider switching to low heat and low voltage LED strands for safer holiday lighting. When using any holiday lights, be sure to read the manufacturer’s instructions to determine how many strands can be connected safely.
At Newman Crane we specialize in helping Orlando residents find the best personal insurance Orlando FL has to offer. Our homeowner’s insurance specialists will help you protect themselves, their loved ones and their assets. Our Orlando homeowners insurance is designed to provide financial protection against your property from losses that occur from theft, vandalism, natural disaster and countless more risk exposures. Give our Orlando homeowners insurance specialists a call today at (407) 859-3691 to learn more about keeping your property protected.